Important Change to Registration and Renewal

Registration renewal will open in November – watch your inbox for further information.

In accordance with the new bylaws you must renew your registration by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on December 31 or registration will be cancelled effective January 1. There is no longer a grace period. To ensure a smooth renewal process, read on…

What Happens When Registration is Cancelled?

  • You must apply for reinstatement of registration in order to resume practice. Reinstatement is not immediate.
  • You will not be able to practice physical therapy in BC or use title.
  • Medical Services Plan (MSP) requires notification and billing numbers cease to be valid

What Is Needed to Renew?

  • Your registration number and password to log into the online renewal and payment portal
  • Valid liability insurance: Carrier, policy number and effective dates
  • Completion of QA requirement, such as the ASR if you have been identified to complete in 2018
  • Completion of 5-year Criminal Record Re-Check, if you have been identified to complete in 2018

Renewal Schedule – Transition Year

Registration renewal will open in November 2018. The renewal is for five months.

Registration renewal will open again in April 2019. The renewal is for one year.

Renewal Begins Renewal Deadline Registration Permit Dates
November 2018 11:59 pm on December 31, 2018 January 1, 2019 – May 31, 2019
April 2019 11:59 pm on May 31, 2019 June 1, 2019 – May 31, 2020

Going on Leave and Liability Insurance

Leave of Absence and Full Registration

If you are planning a leave of absence in 2019 and intend to keep your FULL registration status, you must have liability insurance as if you were a full practicing registrant. Some insurers offer products for maternity leaves (a one-year extension) that do not meet the requirements for full registration.

Leave of Absence with Change in Registration Status

If you are planning a leave of absence in 2019 and decide to change your status by canceling or becoming a non-practising registrant, you will not be required, for College purposes, to maintain liability insurance. It is recommended to have what is known as ‘tail insurance’ that provides coverage if a future claim is made. Talk to your insurer about your coverage options.