Full Registration (Labour Mobility Agreement)
You are a physical therapist currently registered with an unrestricted practice certificate (that is similar to the full registration status with the College) in a Canadian jurisdiction. You may be eligible for full registration under the Agreement of Internal Trade (AIT) 2009 (Chapter 7); or the Alberta/British Columbia Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement (applicable for physical therapists currently fully registered with the Physiotherapy Alberta College and Association).
Under the labour mobility agreement, no new requirements are expected with the exception of a review of previous discipline history and other administrative matters.
If you have restrictions, limitations or conditions on your practice certificate/license from another Canadian jurisdiction, you should email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss registration requirements.
The College is committed to the principles of labour mobility and the movement of registered physical therapists across Canadian jurisdictions as articulated in the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) 2009 (Chapter 7) and the Alberta/British Columbia Trade Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement. The movement of physical therapists under the agreements is based on the similarities of categories of registration (otherwise known as permit on permit). Where the agreements do not apply, the College’s registration requirements remain the same.
- Applicants from physical therapists currently registered with a practice certificate/licence in another Canadian jurisdiction will be considered under the rules of the mobility agreements. When registration categories of the two jurisdictions are similar, no new requirements are expected with the exception of a review of previous discipline history and other administrative matters.
- If registration categories are not similar, the existing registration requirements apply and applicants must follow the outlined here or here.
- If you are not currently registered to practice in a jurisdiction in Canada, the existing registration requirements apply and applicants must follow the process outlined here or here.
You must submit the following documents to the College – the forms can be downloaded by clicking on the link:
- Application For Registration Form
Sign and date the form and have someone witness your signature.
- Proof of malpractice insurance in the amount of at least three million dollars ($3M CAD) per occurrence
If you work in the public sector, the College will accept a confirmation letter from the hospital or government agency/employer. If you have private malpractice insurance, the College will accept a letter of confirmation from your insurer. Further information about private malpractice insurance can be received by contacting the Canadian Physiotherapy Association at 1 800 387 8679 or Hub International Sinclair Cockburn at 1 800 328 7887.
- If applicable, Authorization for Release of Regulatory Information Form from each jurisdiction (Canadian and international) in which you have been registered as a physical therapist currently or in the past
You must complete the top portion of the form and send it directly to the appropriate regulatory organization(s) for completion. The College may accept the completed form attached to an email if sent directly from the regulatory organization(s) to the College. The College will not accept the form if sent via applicants.
- If applicable, proof of English language proficiency, if you were educated in a language other than English
Please provide an original or certified copy of one of the following test results OR select “Language Testing” on Section 1 of the Verification Request Form from The Alliance if your English language proficiency has been verified by The Alliance:
(a) Internet Based Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) total score of at least 92, with minimum scores in each category (Listening, Writing, Speaking, Reading) of 21; or
(b) An average score on the Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST) administered by University of Ottawa in Canada, of at least 4, with no component lower than 4, with a minimal oral interview rating of at least 4.5; or
(c) A score of at least 7 on the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The test must include all components: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
*Please note all scores, total scores and component scores must meet minimum requirements in one sitting. Combination of more than one test will not be accepted to meet language proficiency requirements. In addition, language test scores must be less than two years old and must be submitted to the College directly from the testing agency.
Please make your cheque or money order payable to the College of Physical Therapists of BC in Canadian funds (CAD) drawn from a Canadian bank. The College does not accept direct transfer of funds or credit card payments. The non-refundable application fee is $100.00 CAD is included in your fees, and the registration fee is pro-rated in a quarterly basis.
|If you are looking to complete your application between:||Payment Due|
|Jan 1 – Mar 30||$525.00|
|April 1 – June 30||$418.75|
|July 1 – Sept 30||$312.50|
|Oct 1 – Dec 31||$206.25|
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the office at email@example.com or 604 730 9193 or toll free (Canada) 1 877 576 6744.