Full Registration (Grandfathering)
You have completed your physical therapy degree, were fully registered with the College of Physical Therapists of British Columbia and were practicing as a physical therapist in British Columbia prior to December 15, 1994.
You have completed your physical therapy degree, were fully registered with a physical therapy regulatory organization in a Canadian province and were practicing as a physical therapist in the same province prior to December 31, 1993.
You have completed your physical therapy degree, were fully registered with a physical therapy regulatory organization in a Canadian province and were practicing as a physical therapist in the Yukon or NWT as of December 31, 1993.
You must submit the following documents to the College – the forms can be downloaded by clicking on the link:
- Application For Registration Form
Sign and date the form and have someone witness your signature.
- Proof of malpractice insurance in the amount of at least three million dollars ($3M CAD) per occurrence
If you work in the public sector, the College will accept a confirmation letter from the hospital or government agency/employer. If you have private malpractice insurance, the College will accept a copy of certificate from your insurer. Further information about private malpractice insurance can be received by contacting the Canadian Physiotherapy Association at 1 800 3878679 or Hub International Sinclair Cockburn at 1 800 328 7887.
- A notarized copy of your graduation certificate
Notarized means that a lawyer or notary public certifies a true copy of your graduation certificate.
- An up-to-date resume to the current month
- Authorization for Release of Regulatory Information Form from each jurisdiction (Canadian and international) in which you have been registered as a physical therapist currently or in the past
You must complete the top portion of the form and send it directly to the appropriate regulatory organization(s) for completion. The College may accept the completed form attached to an email if sent directly from the regulatory organization(s) to the College. The College will not accept the form if sent via applicants.
- Authorization for Release of Information for Confirmation of Employment Form from each workplace if you have worked as a physical therapist in the last five years, AND one from the following list as applicable:
- An employer from British Columbia prior to December 15, 1994, or
- An employer from the province you were registered in prior to December 31, 1993, or
- An employer from Yukon or NWT prior to December 31, 1993.
You must complete the top portion of the form and send it directly to the appropriate employer(s) for completion. The College requires the original to be sent directly from the employer(s) to the College. If you are unable to contact a previous employer, you may submit a previously obtained letter of reference or confirmation of employment.
- If applicable, official proof of a name change (e.g., a marriage certificate), if you have changed your name since graduating
- If applicable, proof of English language proficiency, if you were educated in a language other than English Please provide an original or certified copy of one of the following test results OR select “Language Testing” on Section 1 of the Verification Request Form from The Alliance if your English language proficiency has been verified by The Alliance:
(a) Internet Based Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) total score of at least 92, with minimum scores in each category (Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking) of 21; or
(b) An average score on the Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST) administered by the University of Ottawa in Canada, of at least 4, with no component lower than 4, with a minimal oral interview rating of at least 4.5; or
(c) A score of at least 7 on the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The test must include all components: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
*Please note all scores, total scores and component scores must meet minimum requirements in one sitting. Combination of more than one test will not be accepted to meet language proficiency requirements. In addition, language test scores must be less than two years old and must be submitted to the College directly from the testing agency.
Please make your cheque or money order payable to the College of Physical Therapists of BC in Canadian funds (CAD) drawn from a Canadian bank. The College does not accept direct transfer of funds or credit card payments. The non-refundable application fee is $100.00 CAD is included in your fees, and the registration fee is pro-rated in a quarterly basis.
|If you are looking to complete your application between:||Payment Due|
|Jan 1 – Mar 30||$525.00|
|April 1 – June 30||$418.75|
|July 1 – Sept 30||$312.50|
|Oct 1 – Dec 31||$206.25|
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604 730 9193 or toll free (Canada) 1 877 576 6744.